Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lice!

Okay, let me start with this: WE DON'T HAVE IT!

Last night, I think I truly lost my mind. No joke, Tony looked at me like I was a retarded dork. I was, but let me back up & explain why...
See, I've been subbing at the grade school for the last 3 days & yesterday at the end of the day, the school secretary comes into my classroom & hands me a note that says, "Someone in your class has lice." WHAT!??! Immediately, I started itching. Clawing myself is more like it. "Who?" I begged. Then here's the DUMBEST part: They won't tell me! I'm sitting here teaching 22 students who are all 6 years old. I'm tying their shoes. I'm zipping their coats. I'm fixing their barrettes when they fall out of their hair. I'm getting hugged every two seconds. And they WON'T tell me who to avoid? RUDE! And not in a RUUD way, I might add... I was so bugged. But luckily not "bugged" in a lice way.
The secretary informed me that a nurse would be coming in tomorrow to check EVERY ONE'S head, including mine. Oh, the humiliation! The horror! What if I had it? I was SO SCARED! Anywhoo~ when I got home from the school, I ran STRAIGHT into the bathroom. I took off all my clothes and refused to put them into the dirty hamper (if they had lice on them, it might SPREAD!) I stripped all the blankets & pillows off my bed and did a 3 hour sanitize cycle in the washing machine. Yes, I said 3 hours. On HOT. That had to cost an arm and a leg. I got in the shower (like THAT would really help) and washed my hair again and again and again. When I got out of the shower, I didn't want to sit on the couch in case I had it and it might spread to my couches. I wouldn't sit on my bed in case I had it and it spread to the wonderful mattress I have on my bed. I refused to make dinner in case it was on my hands and I accidentally fed lice to my family. Or worse, what if I ATE IT?!? In fact, I tore the basement food storage area apart and found a plastic shower cap. I figured that if my head were covered in saran-wrap, I couldn't spread it. I was a MESS! Tony had checked my hair as soon as he saw my frantic stripping act in the bathroom (I know what you are thinking, but no, the whole lice thing kept him from liking that moment...) & told me I didn't have it, but I was too paranoid to believe him. But amidst his laughing, he did manage to sneak a picture of me on his cell phone with my head all wrapped in a plastic shower cap. I'll DIE if it ever gets out.
Okay, so fast-forward to today. First thing this morning, they hauled everyone down to a supply closet and took everyone in, one at a time, and checked heads. I was SO RELIEVED to find out that NO ONE HAD IT! The kid that had it was home (there were several kids absent, but I think my detective work figured out which kid it was...) & won't be allowed back for 7 to 10 days or something like that. Oh, I'm so incredibly grateful we didn't catch it! And if my picture ever shows up of me in a plastic shower cap, I'm TOTALLY saying that it is my brother, Ben, since we look EXACTLY alike when I have no make-up on and my hair is short! :)

15 comments:

Cordie said...

OH my gosh! I am dying right now. I think I would have done the exact same thing as you! I am so glad you didn't get lice. Ask my mom what she did when all us girls caught lice when I was in grade school. Oh I am so scared my kids will catch it. I think that is one of the worst bugs to get. YUCK!!!!!!!

erika said...

I got it from work. (teaching)It was no fun with this long hair!!
It was a pain!!
Glad you didn't have it!

Tracy Beckett said...

I'm laughing so hard! Great explanation, Gup, and I'm so sorry it was so traumatic. You did a great job sanitizing and making sure not to spread it if you have it. Hilairous! You are awesome and I love ya! Watch out for those little nits...

Traci said...

great story! I am with you lice is not fun! I remember it going through the family years and years ago!!
SO glad you were ok!!!
Would love to see that pic sometime- hehe!!!

The Perkins Family said...

SO gald you didn't end up having it. I probably would have done the same thing. Brielle's pictures are gorgeous. I liked your creativity with the mirror.

Doney Days said...

I'm glad you don't have it! I had it in 6th grade and it was from hell! I totally laughed out loud from your looking like Ben comment. You are funny and I don't see the resemblence. Great! Now you have me itching!

Jeff and Holly said...

FUNNY! I Love your stories, you always crack me up. I sure do hope that my kids don't come home with it! Man what would we do?? So I called Jen W. to see if she wanted to go to the hot pots with us, totally forgetting she is prego. She was bummed and said that she is hoping to get with you guys some time also. So I was thinking IF Tony wont kill us, Lets plan both (games and pots)! Let me know what you think. See you!

Kally said...

That is hilarious Koriann, Im so glad you dont have it but its so funny to hear how you explain things. By the way I totally dont know that we have the same background, we must have some good taste! :) So please dont change it unless you want to but it doesn't matter to me either way.

Summer said...

best story of the day...hands down. :) I subbed 2nd grade for a while and felt like I needed a shower every day after school--and no one even had lice (that I knew of) they're just so touchy--it's cute, but I'm a germaphobe. :)

Deb-t said...

Grody! Remember I got lice in 6th grade and mom DID cut all my hair off? Do you remember I'm Ben's twin, too?
What an awful horrid story. I'm itching just thinking about it. You are hilarious though for freaking out so bad. Don't blame ya!

Sondra said...

Korianne! You are so funny! Although if that had happened to me it wouldn't have been so funny. I would've felt the same way. Ugh! Just the thought of the possibility of head lice makes you imagine itches! You poor thing! I'm so glad that it turned out ok. I love you!

Tiff George said...

Eww...I'm so glad you didn't get it! I, too, got it when it went around our elementary school, and Mom cut my and Deb's hair short like a boys and it was so traumatizing! I got mistaken for a boy once and thought I was going to DIE of embarassment!

Cassie Skinner said...

Funny - Funny!!!!! I am still checking MaKayja's head nightly since she is in that class.... No she doesn't have it, Yah!!! I would absolutely go in sane if one of my kids brought it home. Grosssssssssssssss............ Anyways I love the story it was great.

Deidra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tawnja said...

Oh, TONY! Guppy is begging you to post the picture of her in the showercap. Get on it, man!

Family Reunion 2008!


Bear Lake


Ruud & Proud of it!

Summer at Bear Lake

Summer at Bear Lake

About Me

My photo
Montpelier, ID, United States
I love... mascara! (The more layers, the better!)... My hunka-love named Tony... My fabulous-five! (Brooklyn, Brikenna, Bridger, Brielle, & Brig!)... Sister's Weekends... Keith Urban! (If I were a polygamsit, he'd be husband #2...:)... A fast-paced game of volleyball... Warm Vacations... Olive Garden & Macaroni Grill... Cheating at card games (Hey, it's funner that way! :))... Funny shows... Snuggling in warm clothes straight from the dryer... Fast 4-Wheeler rides in the mud... Loud music... Big malls in big cities... Taking pictures... E-mail... Carmel pretzel ice cream... Foot Massages... Hair Brushings...Teenager-Style Clothes! (I have a problem ~ I still think I'm 18...)